Contributing to counter mistreatment: A guide addressed to Age Friendly Communities (free translation of Contribuer à la lutte contre la maltraitance: Guide à l’intention des municipalités amies des aînés) is a guide that was developed for the Department of Health and Social services of the government of Québec. It is intended for actors of local and regional county municipalities committed to an Age friendly community (free translation of Municipalité amie des aînés, or MADA) approach inside their territories.
Marie Beaulieu, Chairholder, and Julien Cadieux Genesse, previous coordinator of the Chair, were the pillars for the development of this guide in collaboration with the MADA research team.
Broadly, this guide presents a series of measures to counter mistreatment of older adults that can be implemented as part of the MADA approach. Specifically, reading this guide allows the different actors committed in the realisation of a MADA approach to:
- Familiarise themselves with mistreatment of older adults, as well as being directed to relevant work on the subject;
- Better understand this social issue and to recognize some of its form and individual and social consequences;
- Highlight the importance of including cultural communities, the First Nations and the Inuit in the consultations of the municipality;
- Know a series of actors from Québec committed to counter this issue;
- Paint a portrait of the potential partners between municipalities and the clinical, community or organisational actors;
- Develop concerted measures on the subject of countering mistreatment for municipalities that can be implemented, or that already has, a MADA action plan.
To download the guide (French only):