Since March, the Chairholder and members of the research team have been involved in a diversity of work concerning the mistreatment of older persons and COVID-19. Here is a summary of their activities within various categories.
Publication of scientific articles
1) Beaulieu, M., Cadieux Genesse, J. & St-Martin, K. (accepted August 2020). COVID-19 and Residential Care Facilities: Issues and concerns identified by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA). Journal of Adult Protection.
2) Fraser, S., Lagacé, M., Bongué, B., Ndeye, N., Guyot, J., Bechard, L., Garcia, L., Taler, V., CCNA Social Inclusion and Stigma Working Group, Adam, S., Beaulieu, M., Bergeron, C. D., Boudjemadi, V., Desmette, D., Donizetti, A. R., Éthier, S., Garon, S., Gillis, M., Levasseur, M., Lortie-Lussier, M., Marier, P., Robitaille, A., Sawchuck, K., Lafontaine, C., & Tougas, F. (2020). Ageism and COVID-19. What does our society’s response say about us? Age and Ageing, 49(5), 692-695.
Writings submitted or in progress
1) Beaulieu, M. & Cadieux Genesse, J. (submitted, July 2020). High Death Rate of Older Persons from COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities in Québec (Canada): Chronology and Analysis. Journal of Adult Protection.
2) A section on COVID-19 has been added to a chapter of the book Health Promotion and Older Adults in Canada by Edwards, Rootman, Levasseur and Grunberg.
3) Preparation of a chapter for the book Older People and COVID-19: Impact and Perspectives on the Pandemic by Kapur Shankardass for Springer Publishers.
4) Preparation of a scientific article to be submitted to the magazine Gérontologie et Société sometime in September.
Conferences by invitation
1) Organisation and production of a 60-minute webinar to honor World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (June 15).
- This activity generated much visibility in Québec and France. For example, 145 persons directly participated, and 2,130 others learned of the video and its contents in the week that followed.
2) Beaulieu, M. (April 23, 2020). COVID-19 in Canada – Québec, Situation in communal living environments (Nursing Homes, Residential Buildings for Older Adults). International Webinar “COVID 19 (Corona Virus Infectious Disease 2019) Global Pandemic” organised by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse.
3) Beaulieu, M., Cadieux Genesse, J. & St-Martin, K. (July 16, 2020). Mistreatment of Older Persons, Residential Care Homes, COVID-19. Results from the INPEA survey and INPEA bi-weekly, on-line meetings on elder abuse and COVID-19.
Newly funded research projects
1) Project entitled: Strategies of community organisations to adapt the delivery of services to older adults in vulnerable situations and their caregivers in a period of social isolation.
- COVID-10 projects funded by RQRV (Quebec Research Network on Aging) – $40,000
- Marie Beaulieu is co-researcher.
2) Project entitled: Intervenir en milieu de vie et de soins pour personnes aînées en temps de COVID-19: quand l’action tombe sous le sens. (Intervention in healthcare and residential settings during COVID-19: When actions make good common sense ).
- Project funded by MITACS and the Jasmin Roy Sophie Desmarais Foundation – $15,000
- Vanessa Daigle (Master of Social Work candidate) will be supervised by Marie Beaulieu.
1) Collaboration with INSPQ (Quebec public health expertise and reference center) elaborating on a plan of communication information to older persons:
- Creating a list of provincial helplines for older adults experiencing mistreatment or confronting a social problem (violence, intimidation, suicidal thoughts, etc.).
- Uploading this list and news reports on the risks of financial mistreatment and managing stress or anxiety to our website.
- Dissemination of information to all regional coordinators in Québec.
2) Follow-up with regional coordinators on the fight against mistreatment and response to their specific requests concerning the links between mistreatment and the COVID-19 situation.
3) Support in writing a text, under the direction of a regional coordinator, promotes good treatment in the COVID-19 context.
4) Collaboration with CREGÉS (Center for research and expertise in social gerontology) to articulate the government’s recommendations concerning older persons when the pandemic crisis ends.
Quebec and Canadian media presence
Eighteen appearances in print and radio since March 2020. These appearances are available for consultation in the media library of this website.
1) Activities with INPEA (International Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse)
- Translation of a survey (English to French) conducted by African partners.
- Participation in biweekly virtual meetings (90 minutes) since April 23.
- Specific presentations on the Québec situation as of April 23 (See section ‘Conferences’).
- Development and uploading of consultations with members of the INPEA on the links between COVID-19 and mistreatment in residential facilities.
2) Regular follow-up with the Commission « Promotion de la bientraitance et lutte contre la maltraitance » (Promotion of good treatment and the fight against mistreatment) in France to compare our two situations in managing the COVID-19 crisis.
3) Participation in two webinars on the mistreatment of older adults in African nations in the context of COVID-19.
4) Participation in two webinars held by the United Nations linking the mistreatment of older adults and COVID-19.