The CDPDJ is an agency, independent from the government, which has the mandate to promote and respect the rights as dictated in various legislative documents, including:
- The Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms
- The Youth Protection Act
- The Youth Criminal Justice Act
The CDPDJ is also responsible for:
- “Inform the public about rights recognized by the Charter, the Youth Protection Act and Youth Criminal Justice Act
- Carry out investigations in cases of discrimination and exploitation (under the Charter) and in cases of infringements of children and youth rights (under the YPA or the YCJA)
- Make recommendations to the Québec government regarding conformity of laws with the Charter and regarding any issue related to rights and freedoms and youth protection.
- Undertake and promote research and publications on fundamental rights and freedoms and on children rights
- Offer an advisory service on reasonable accommodation to employers and decision-makers
- Monitors the application of equal access to employment programs
- Cooperate with any organization, dedicated to the promotion of human rights and freedoms, in or outside Québec” (CDPDJ’s Website)
All the members of the Chair would like to congratulate her on this appointment and wish her well in her new duties.