Facts on mistreatment of older adults Quiz II (experienced groups)
The Facts on mistreatment of older adults Quiz II was developed based on the Facts on Aging Quiz by Palmore (1977), but adapted specifically to the issue of the mistreatment of older adults. Designed for those having a certain base of knowledge on mistreatment, this Quiz is a tool for awareness, education and training by addressing twenty-five topics relating to the mistreatment of older adults. It includes controversial issues in order to stimulate discussion around sensitive topics.
- To encourage exchange and reflection relating to the mistreatment of older adults (the Quiz does not aim to gauge the participants’ knowledge or to ensure that they retain the answers to the Quiz)
- To promote awareness of the phenomenon of mistreatment of older adults
- To destroy the myths surrounding the mistreatment of older adults
- To propose updated knowledge on the mistreatment of older adults
First, the participants are asked to complete individually the Facts on mistreatment of older adults Quiz II. Subsequently, we take each of the twenty-five questions/topics of the Quiz, explaining the apprenticeship aims of this question by presenting a reflexive component or a simulation exercise related to the question, by giving the answer to the question, by expounding a thorough explanation of this answer whilst presenting complementary information. The following topics are covered: the definitions; the scope of the phenomenon; the forms of mistreatment; the forms of mistreatment specific to the context of housing; risk factors; vulnerability factors; the concept of gender; the authors of mistreatment; the consequences; the barriers to denunciation; the explanatory theories; the laws; prevention; screening; intervention; the organization of services; seniors’ associations; cultural aspects; training. Note that the explanations given to these topics differ from the training workshop on Quiz I in that the elements of the answers are more thoroughly examined and are sensitive to the theoretical and practical knowledge of the target audience.
- A one-day workshop of six to seven hours
- A half-day (only the least successful questions will be explained)
The training workshop is aimed specifically at those who have a certain base of knowledge related to the issue of the mistreatment of older adults (for example, psychosocial and health professionals, gerontology students, seniors involved in the prevention of mistreatment, etc.). Since the Quiz was developed based on Quebec, Canadian and international scientific literature, the training can also be provided outside Quebec.
- Interactive presentation promoting exchange and reflection relating to the mistreatment of older adults
- Individual exercise: participants are asked to complete the Facts on mistreatment of older adults Quiz II
- PowerPoint presentation Material provided to participants: a copy of the Facts on mistreatment of older adults Quiz II; a document with answers to and brief explanations of the topics covered in the Quiz II
How to register
*Until now, this training session has been offered only in French. However, if you are interested in receiving it in English, please contact us.
Johannie Bergeron Patenaude:
1-819-780-2220, extension 45698